There is no denial in the fact that sex is one of the basic requirements of human beings. However, this vital need can turn into an addiction and create havoc, if not addressed in time. This subject has always been a great taboo in society, and despite a lot of studies, it is quite difficult to define what sex addiction is. Many people confuse it with pornography addiction, but these are two entirely different things. So, what is sex addiction? And, who needs to seek, ‘sex addiction counseling for men near me’?.
Sex addiction is a range of sexual behaviors that are carried out by a person, who cannot control the way he or she feels. Since, there is no laid-out formula for understanding sex addiction, diagnosing the problem is often quite problematic.
Symptoms to Look Out for Sex Addiction
- No healthy boundaries and the person may be involved with multiple people sexually in a casual manner
- Fear of being abandoned. Feelings like guilt, fear, loneliness, feeling incomplete, etc. are common symptoms
- Feeling immobilized due to emotional and sexual obsessions
- Shying away from family or from relationships
- Anxiety and depression
- Contracting STDs and other sexually transmitted diseases
- Urge of having sex anywhere and everywhere – even in public
Causes of Sex Addiction
There are many causes behind sex addiction – psychological, social as well as biological.
- Some of the social causes include rejection in social circles and relationships, social learning from similar kind of people and social isolation leading to finding ways of gratifying oneself.
- Biologically, there can be a genetic predisposition to various kinds of behaviors leading to sexual addiction along with depression and anxiety. High levels of sex hormones in the body might also, be a cause for sex addiction in people.
- Last, but not the least, are psychological causes behind sex addiction. Environmental influences can contribute to various kinds of underlying characteristics, which trigger hypersexual behavior. Poor mental health, including personality disorders, depression, anxiety, poor impulse control, etc. are some causes of sex addiction too.
Effects of Sex Addiction
It’s needless to say that sex addiction comes with highly adverse effects. There is a steady decline in family engagement, social reactions, and personal relationships. Work is hampered significantly due to decreased concentration impacting work performance. Various kinds of diseases might be transmitted, and there is a risk of becoming sexually dysfunctional. Many people have also suffered from social isolation, social anxiety, depression along with failure in controlling impulses and emotional dysregulation due to sex addiction. Many others drift towards substance abuse from this terrible sex addiction when not handled at the right time.
If you or a loved one suffers from sex addiction, it is time you seek sex addiction counseling for men near me. With the right guidance it is possible to treat this condition and live a normal life. Do not feel hesitant to seek for help. Contact Dr. Eva A. Malanowski at 303-242-7824 for expert counsel and therapy.
Leave A Comment